27 December, 2013

Going Home.

She is from a neighbouring country.
This was her second relapse.
Her body didn't react well to the Chemotherapy.
She was immediately shifted to the ICU.
Complete renal failure.
17 dialysis in 10 days.
The Doctors decided to withdraw.
Her body was collapsing.
She wasn't going to make it.
Barely a week left.
Her parents decided to take her back home to her own country.
To spend her last few days with her family and friends.

She was unaware.
She was just happee when all the tubes were removed.
When she was told she could go out in the sun after 2 weeks in a wheelchair.
When she heard she was going home.
All she knew is that the days of Chemotherapy were over.

Her parents knew.
The doctors had told them.
I wonder how that discussion went.
The Mother smiled in front of her daughter and cried in the distance.
The Father had accepted Fate.

She.
She sat in the wheelchair on the terrace basking in the sun.
In spite of my heart thumping, I took up the courage to go and sit with her.

"This feels nice after so long," she smiled.
"The sun?" I asked.
"Yes. And the view. When I first came here, I loved this view. So calm and beautiful. I am going home. Did you hear?"
"Yes. I did. Are you happee?"
"Very." She grinned.

I looked at her face and wondered.
She was conscious. Aware. Her mind was working fine.
And yet, inside, Every organ was slowly shutting down.
I always Believed that when a person was positive in mind and spirit, he/she could overcome anything. That if you could control you mind, your body would react that way. It was always mind over matter. That no matter what the disease, even Cancer, if the mind was positive, the body would respond positively also.

And yet, she sat in the wheelchair. Positive.
Positive about going home. About being okay.
And even then, her body was not responding accordingly.

I was broken out of my trance when I heard her mumble something.
I asked her to repeat what she said.
It took her a lot of strength and she repeated, "Please dont forget me when I leave."
I gulped.
"Never," I replied.

I looked away for a while to hide my watery eyes.
In the distance I saw her mother looking in the vastness.
I looked back at her and saw her eyes closed, with a small hint of smile on her lips, breathing lightly.

I was with her for an hour. Sitting with her on the terrace and chatting.
About her life back at home. Her family. Siblings. School. What she wants to become when she grows up.
"I want to become a teacher. I want to teach English," she said.

I left to go to the Playroom to look after the other kids.
When I came back to the terrace, she wasn't there.
I saw her sleeping, tired, back in her bed.
Nestled under blankets, her face only visible.
Her body going up and down with her light breathing.
I closed the door lightly and left.

Thats the last I saw of her.
She is leaving for home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment